Wednesday, June 14, 2006
Activism and the Freshies

They say that UP Diliman is an overrated campus of the UP system. Being the flagship campus of the university, it has a lot to boast of. I personally dont care about these claims as my belief is that it is the home of diversified yet unified students.

Last Tuesday, June 13 was the first day of class for freshmen who sucessfully passed the UP entrance examination, UPCAT. I was very excited because once I also sat at those seats of the UP theater, cheered, laughed and yelled. I wanted to have the spirit that I had four years ago and i was not disappointed.

The presentations of various UP groups and orgs were overwhelming. A good show that was, it featured the talented Kontragapi (an alternative ethnic music group, the UP repertory company, UP pepsquad and a lot more.

A part of the presentation was given to activist organization who invited the freshmen to participate in the massive protests against tuition fee increase, chacha and other social issues. As they start their demonstration at stage, my expectation of seeing the freshies and old students from UP as disturbed and annoyed beings. Ofcourse, four years ago, I was like them, I did not have the notions of activism then.

Activism from its root word "act" is the use of actions from individuals who target a social goal. My goal as a student is to study hard and get good grades. But my job does not stop there: as a scholar, I must strive for the truth and justice. I must repay the taxpayers who subsidize my education by serving them the rectitude that they deserve. I must feel the solidarity that most of my country men feel. Activism is a duty to the motherland, it is not coined in demonstrations but can also be shown by service.

May I say to the new batch of iskos and iskas that the University fought and still is fighting for academic freedom and liberalization of knowledge gathering. The four walls of the deteriorated classroom of Diliman does not guarantee good education as a degree is different from good education. Go and be activists, serve the country, pursue for the truth and do not forget to enjoy your college life






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< let's sail back home =)

The Fruits of My Imagination

Let's keep this room neat and tidy

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines

Call me geek I don't care, I never claimed I am.



My Org Flipp
Koha ILS
Font from GWWG
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com