Friday, June 16, 2006
Server Dilema

At the Institute, we badly need servers. These servers will mainly be used for Database Management Systems, Thin Clients, File serving systems and a lot more.

I have been a macintosh fan since the day my dad gave me a computer 12 years ago, I craved to have one but usability's sake and price consideration I never managed to get one. Mac's G5 dual core servers are a bit expensive therefore they are not on the preference list.

A brand on the list is Sun Microsystem's Fire Servers, which can run different flavors of Unixes and Windows Server Operating System. I already customised the X2100 and the price boomed to $1,750. The configuration includes an opteron processor, 1 GB memory, and 80 GB hard disk space.

The next thing I considered was HP's Proliant servers, ML 150 and like the specs of the Sun's X2100, it went up tp $1,564

I never considered Dell since it is monopolised by Intel. I do not have Intel in my preference since I really do not trust Xeon processors based on bench marks.

Opteron will be the choice of processing platform. 64 bit is a must for application scalability and compatibility. Dual core would be nice but it will require a much higher budget.

I still have to search for other server brands so I would have a lot to choose from. Good night everyone!






3 Comments:
Blogger mac.n.tux had this to say:

Scalability does not depend on whether it is 32 or 64-bit. Compatibility? How many applications do you *REALLY* have that uses 64-bit processors?

BTW, try the new XServes - they are 64-bit.

As for pricing, your Institute is part of the academe. If you need help getting a good price on Apple or Sun, contact me.

5:33 AM 

Blogger qiqo had this to say:

Thank you for that information. I already contacted the distributor of sun servers (comclark) and i havent seen any progress yet. If they will not be able to update us within the month then i shall contact and ask help from you. Thank you for your willingness sir.

I believe that 64bit is the future of processing [maybe 3-5 years from now, most of the applications will be written on that instruction set (correct me if im wrong)], the current market overwhemlingly supports the architechture. It really takes time for a government institution like the ILIS to acquire new facilities therefore as part of a strategic plan, 64 bit is a must so we wont be forced to acquire machines in the future if computing set 64bit as the standard.

Merci pour les opinions.

7:39 AM 

Blogger mac.n.tux had this to say:

I agree that 64-bit is the way to go but I'd recommend that you not to be keen on getting one just yet - at least until applications support it natively.

Three-five years from now, you will have far better 64-bit processors and your purchase today will be relegated as dinosaurs, if you know what I mean.

I'd say - use your budget wisely. A 64-bit processor vs a 32-bit one will have a significant price difference, you might be able to use the difference to buy more HDD space and RAM to beef up your machine's performance.

UNLESS of course you are doing a lot of number crunching, which I highly doubt.

6:38 PM 

Post a Comment

<< let's sail back home =)

The Fruits of My Imagination

Let's keep this room neat and tidy

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines

Call me geek I don't care, I never claimed I am.



My Org Flipp
Koha ILS
Font from GWWG
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com