Saturday, July 29, 2006
The Future of ILIS, a Frustration
We struggle to get a new building. Our admin officials are working hard to achieve this ultimate goal, yet other students of this Institute lie beyond apathy and they could not obtain the solidarity that may trigger a revolution for the goodness of librarianship and information services. This is a pitty, some of them would rather stay away and mingle to other colleges, some unseen after the enrolment, some would work and file an LOA eventually. Together with these sets of students a part of our body is paralyzed. The solution: inspire them, but how? I don't know. I tend to do my small ways of raising their morales, ofcourse i would not deeply elaborate those things. Frustrating, but I really have to do something.I was tasked to do the Information Systems Strategic Plan of the Institute yet I feel that I could not complete the requirements, I think for a thesis this might not be possible if I work alone. I believe that to be able to set a strategic plan, the Institute must have a clear view on what IT can do, yet I see no signs of interest, maybe because of low budget whatsoever.
Things to do:
I have to prove something to be able to get funding from wealthy corporations (based on the view of one of my mentor). Unesco (a old partner of the Institute) seems to be disinterested with projects regarding libraries etc. So my plan is to entise other corporations to invest on library software. Why? Libraries, specifically those from private corporations are willing to invest on Library systems, they are willing to spend millions of money (like La Salle) on stable ILSs.
Sounds easy? I need other student's cooperation and the admin's persistence. This is my small way of helping the institute, I hope that the Institute will help me too.
link | posted by qiqo at 8:29 PM
0 Comments:


