Friday, September 29, 2006
UP's Online Infrastructure in Bad Shape? Why?

It is so funny that our University's Network is not capable of catering our needs. As of the moment, I could not receive mails from it (We do not have a backup generator for our servers). This is the scenario: at the UP, the students are only allocated with only 10 mb of email space (isn't this horrible, UP is the premier university in the Philippines and some of my friends do not use their email accounts because they tell me it is always down?). I need the *.up.edu.ph domain for fundraising and official emails but hell, when i forward the mails to my yahoo and gmail account [for archiving (again 10 mb is not enough!) they are not received. Things get worse and worse as our computer registration system (online enrollment) gives the student headache because they could not enter the system (why the hell is it called online when you need to go to the office of the CRS and ask for your password activation etc?). I emailed the help desk last week and until now I am not receiving any reply (maybe i really dont receive anything on my webmail, but hey i received 3 spam mails).

I am not from dilnet, i would want to but I already work for 2 NGOs at the moment and I still have to complete my Job training and my thesis. I am telling you that I am not brillant nor do i know all things about networking, computing and stuff. I am just seeing things as an Information Professional would do and these opinions come from my heart.

Where is information science? Information science must be employed in order to fix these kind problems and how? If some one is building an application or deploying a program, an intensive system analysis and design must be done together with extensive documentation. Documentation i say is a very essential part of the processes including environment scanning cost benefit analysis and a lot of management stuff. Problem is, if a group of programmers and analysts deployed a program, they forget the documentation and user analysis. These are what we learn in LIS 163 and 166 which are taught at the Institute. I wonder if the Computer Science people have these courses? And people from that department tend to disallow the addition of programming courses in our Insitute (I'm not so certain of this political matters). Let's see what they can do.

I may be blinded by anger right now as the only email i got for my fund raising is from Senator Jinggoy Estrada, and Senator Flavier instead of replying to my email has just sent a snail mail because i think his email was bouncing back at the time the email system of dilnet was down.

Good luck to us iskolars ng bayan as our tuition fee is in danger of getting 200% higher and a factor of this is modernization of equipments. I think Dilnet needs strategic planning, not yacking and just acquiring gadgets then deploying another platform. They need to show their plans, justifications and documentations as people from that sector are paid to do that and these papers are of public domain.

I recommend reading Wards: Strategic Planning for Information Systems 3rd editon.

Cheers! It's still fun to be in UP!






5 Comments:
Blogger mac.n.tux had this to say:

Believe me, the Computer Science department emphasizes the importance of the entire software engineering exercise (which is something that I doubt ILS offers!). Do *NOT* compare Computer Science with Information Science or Information Systems since it is only part of Computer Science. In fairness, ILS just recently added these courses, which the CS has been offering for 25 years already.

As for adding more programming to the LIS programme, I do not recall the CS dept objecting to it. Are you sure? Please provide more details. I am curious as to why they objected.

As for the UP network, yes, I agree that it is pathetic! The thing here is - students clamour for more but refuse to pay more. Want more space? Pay for more space. Unfortunately, space is not free and the University is doing its best providing more storage space to its faculty, staff and students. Remember that it is YOUR PRIVILEGE and NOT YOUR RIGHT.

To solve that problem, however, I have presented Google Hosted for Education. Unfortunately, UP Diliman is not open to such a recommendation. I have done the same to UP Manila and they have embraced it and are not using Google's GMail services for student email - FOR FREE!

As for the network - it is not as simple as your LIS networking class. I have seen the coverage of your networking class and I must say that it is incomplete. I have seen the final exams/projects and it is nothing compared to what CS and EE are doing in their networking class. Again, do not compare apples to oranges.

I have heard that you are also questioning the decision to go XServes - please see my blog at http://rom.feria.name/blog for the answer.

5:22 AM 

Blogger qiqo had this to say:

Hi thanks for your comments. I would just want to emphasize that networking and programming class' handling and syllabi depend on the professor who is tasked to handle the class. I have been enrolled to LIS 163 last year which is systems analysis and design, and i believe that the programme was successfully implemented, though as of the moment, i do not know if the current SAD class is properly handled because i havent seen the syllabus and have not participated in any discussion.

Actually Information Science almost emerged since the birth of computing, it flourished in the 1950-1960s with the establishment of the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC). Further development were raised by the UNESCO and other concerned parties (i.e Library of congress, MARC establishment, Z3950 developers [niso], Ohio link, etc). It has just been recently that the UP supported its Information Science program because experts saw that there is information explosion and that Information Science together with the old profession librarianship would bridge and solve the problems. So i would suggest to go deeper into the roots and history of librarianship and information science if your really want to know more.

I am currently exploring the history of the IT/IS aspect of ILIS, some of the professors and even the current dean said that whenever a course is proposed by the ILIS which somehow has parallelism to the offerings of the CS department, that project would probably be turned down by the administration because some peeps in the CS would argue that there will be redundancy on the course offering.

As the ILIS plans to moveout from its old location and into a new site, it strategizes to expand and offer more courses (i.e. BS Systems Librarian which is now taught in many LIS institutions abroad, Digital Archiving, etc) however the existing IT infrastructure does not allow us to support our the proposed curriculum. One thing we see here is that this requires help from IT/IS based institutions for us to be able to acquire new addition to the infrastructure. I personally am striving hard to contact people from sun to support our special topics offering (java perhaps [because integrated library systems need java]) and sponsor a portion of the machines required if not totally. However I really don't have the complete knowledge on how do these transactions, but im really working hard on learning how to raise some funds and stuff like that.

With regards to the server platform discussions, these are just comments and observations from other students and it professionals that i have been talking with. I thought that the current director had the idea of suddenly switching platform because what happened in crs [prolly rumours] is also a sudden change [from java to php?]. The sad part really was when we (networking class of LIS) visited the computer centre, we asked the people there to show us the network plan of the University, disapointingly though, they were not able to show us any plan but just a plain map. Again the fate of our networking class depends on how the professors handle the course.

Thanks for visiting my blog

Bonne Journée

7:19 AM 

Blogger mark had this to say:

zzz...

7:02 AM 

Blogger mac.n.tux had this to say:

I appreciate the info on the HISTORY of the field but I was referring to the actual COURSES in *UP*. Remember that your Information Science is far different from its original meaning - pre-computers. It is now recently (20-30 years) that it included computers but hey, what do I know? I am not a librarian.

As for the programming courses, it does make sense for the university not to offer two different courses with the same content. Imagine if LIS 999 and CS 998 offer the same content -- what prevents ILS students and CS students from taking one or the other and having it credited? Do you see the need for ILS to teach their own Math courses?

It would have been easier IF ILS and CS agree on having these courses taught by the CS faculty instead. This is what the CS dept do with EEE and Math.

I do not know what specialized IT infrastructure you guys need to offer your degree but even with the antiquated equipment UP has, it is sufficient, to an extent, to support CS/IT/IS/CoE education. Again, it might be that you guys need 3D holographic projections for your classes, then I am 100% sure that the current infrastructure will not be able to sustain it!

Good luck getting Sun into the picture with the CS department, a Sun partner, in UPD. Until ILS develops a good rapport with the CS department, it might be difficult to get Sun on board. Java offers? CS has the Java Research & Development Center and its flagship project, Java Education & Development Initiative (JEDI) is sponsored by Sun. If you want more information about this, talk to me, we may be able to help you with your Java offerings. :D

6:32 PM 

Blogger Pinoy Web Developer had this to say:

well dont expect too much from dilnet or UP.

12:53 AM 

Post a Comment

<< let's sail back home =)

The Fruits of My Imagination

Let's keep this room neat and tidy

My Photo
Name:
Location: San Fernando, Pampanga, Philippines

Call me geek I don't care, I never claimed I am.



My Org Flipp
Koha ILS
Font from GWWG
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com